You’ve chosen your blog hosting company, your blog domain name, your blog pages, and copy are well written, and your beautiful branding, graphics, and design are ready to be shared with the public. Now what? Where do you go from there? To whom you write? What do you write about?
In blogging, pillar posts are the foundation posts that provide your audience with the basic information they need to fully understand and get started within the niche/industry.
Before I go any further, let me define what a pillar is. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, there are 3 definitions describing a pillar. They are as follows:
1. Firm upright support for a superstructure usually ornamental column or shaft ( you see these on houses and buildings). 2. A supporting, integral, reliable or upstanding member or a part of ( e.g., she was a pillar in her community)
3. A fundamental precept or principle.
According to these definitions, I define the blogging pillar posts as the essential, fundamental and supporting content in the form of blog posts that provides your audience with the necessary basic information and knowledge and support to get started and become successful in the niche particular industry.
For example, let’s say you’re an experienced affiliate marketer who wants to start a blog with content helping struggling or newbie affiliate marketers win and make money in the affiliate marketing game. Here are some examples of what your pillar/foundation posts should look like:
1. What is affiliate marketing and how does it work?
2. How To Get Started With Affiliate Marketing Today.
3. Affiliate Marketing Dos and Don’ts
4. Affiliate Marketing F&Qs (Facts And Questions) 30 Most Common Affiliate Marketing Facts & Questions Answered
5. 10 Affiliate Marketing Companies for the Newbie Affiliate Marketer.
So you see it’s all about teaching your audience the niche fundamental content first, then from there, you get into the meat of things, in other words, the details; the more complicated information. You must make sure they understand the basics first.
Now go out there educate and impact!
Like, share and follow. Let me know your takeaways in the comments.
Rhonda, The Virtu Works Fore U Mompreneur